Travel after Brexit – What does it mean for your holiday in the EU?

As of 1st January 2021, the UK has officially left the EU, which may mean some changes to your holiday if you are a UK citizen and are entering any EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.

Here is everything you need to know about your holiday from January 1, including passports, visas, driving and travel insurance:

Do I need to renew my passport?

If you’re travelling to the EU from 1st January 2021, you may need to renew your passport earlier, as it will need to be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left) and it will need to have at least 6 months left validity. To check the requirements for different countries, please see here.

These rules do not apply to travel to Ireland. You can continue to use your passport as long as it’s valid for the length of your stay.

Due to the current challenges of Covid-19, the waiting time for processing passport renewals is longer than 3 weeks, so please allow sufficient time for the application. To renew a passport, please see here.

Will I need a visa to travel into the EU?

If you’re a tourist, you will not need a visa for short trips to EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. You’ll be able to stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.